Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Things That They Don't Teach In Seminary - Part II

I am a proud graduate from Talbot School of Theology. I feel as if they did an exceptional job in preparing me for vocational ministry. Nevertheless, Bald Wisdom is presenting (a long overdue) series on "Things That They Don't Teach In Seminary." Enjoy.

Part II - Auto Shop

Few people go into ministry for the pursuit of monetary rewards. I am no exception, but this is not to say that I am not content with my compensation and the lifestyle that it affords me. I consider myself quite blessed...until the car breaks down. Then it's mass panic. A mechanic will cost me an arm and a leg, yet my desire to save money cries out loudly, despite my inability to differentiate between a spark plug and a screw driver. I, like many of my peers in seminary, am a nerd. And for many of us, we were more interested in studying Greek than in picking up a wrench. So I have one request to our beloved seminaries. Teach your students to work on their cars. We are not dumb people, although you certainly wouldn't know it when we put our heads under the hood. Life is expensive and cars break down. So do your graduates a favor and teach them a few things about how to repair the car. All the biblical training in the world is no good if you can't get to church. After all, doesn't Paul tell the Corinthians in chapter 13,

If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all the mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have faith that can move mountains, but do not have a car, how will I get to the church to tell anyone?

I am eternally grateful to my seminary, but they really dropped the ball on this one...

No comments:

Post a Comment